Saturday, March 30, 2013

Chicken Treats


We buy dried chicken treats for our sweet puppies.  Then last month, February, most of the stores stopped caring them for all different reasons.  The problem is that these are our puppies favorite treats.  So I decided to make them myself.  I did them first in my dehydrator that is about 25 years old, but it died half way through the process.  Which  left me with a lot of chicken pieces half way cooked.  So the next best thing was to put them in the oven.
 I am so grateful I have such an awesome oven.  It is a Convection oven which made it even better, because of the fan inside on the back panel.  The fan pushes the air around inside which helps cook everything evenly and faster.  Which is really cool. 
 I then package some of them with our food saver to help keep them safe and the rest in a container that our puppies have learned all the sounds of it being touched.  Why? Because they know they are going to get a treat.
By making our own we know what is in the treat, which is just chicken and no extra preservatives or other icky stuff.  It takes some time to make them, but they are cheaper then any of the ones we have seen in the stores. That and they are their favorite treats.  Which makes me feel really great.  Rob calls them "Mommy Treats".  Now I just need a meat slicer so my hands don't hurt so much from cutting frozen chicken.

No comments: