Friday, April 30, 2010

Ottoman finally FINISHED!!!!

This has been a loooong project, but one well worth the time.  Rob and I looked at different couches that would be more comfortable to snuggle together and watch movies on.  I decided that instead of paying a fortune for a couch why not just make an extension to the one we already have.  Our couch about 15yrs old and has only needed to be re-braced twice.  So this was gonna be one of my big projects.
First I took some measurements and decided how big I wanted it.  3'x3' would be perfect.  So first I built the frame and then put in the paneling
Next came the feet for the couch and the ottoman.  I enjoyed doing this part.  It took a lot of sanding and most of it was done with one hand because I broke my wrist, yet they turned out pretty good.
Now that the frame is finished it was time to stain.  The staining was a big project.  It needed two coats and a wipe down in between each one.  then of course a clear finish and a wipe down of the one also.  we also had to find hinges.  looking for just the hinges was a pain.  Because of the size and weight we were unable to get hinges that would hold it up.  So we used two different types.  a piano hinge and two toy box hinges. that actually worked out better.
The lid needed a cushion so it would be nice and soft to sit on.  I looked at a few stores here in town and they were more expensive then one I found online.  When the cushion came I realized it was too thick so my sweet Rob and I cut it in half.  I found the material at one of the wholesalers I visited and it matches the couch and recliner we have.
Now that it is all done Rob and I have enjoyed a movie or two snuggled together.  There were some frustrations and I had to walk away from it a few times,  but I never stopped thinking of how I could make it better or change it.  The pattern is all mine and I created it from start to finish.  I love using my hands and the skills the Lord has blessed me with.  I can't wait to start the next project and see what it will be.

2 comments:

Candi said...

That turned out awesome!!!

Deborah said...

COngratulations! Time to relax now?